Whirlpool® Approved Refrigerator Water Filters
Enter the model number of your refrigerator.
Your model number may be located in a variety of locations:
Places to look:
- The internal ceiling of the refrigerator
- Inside the refrigerator or freezer’s inside walls (perhaps behind drawers)
- When the door is opened, the frame behind it is visible.
- In the shadows of the kickplate
- It’s located on the back of the refrigerator.
A sample model number label looks like this:
- Water filters that have been authorized by Whirlpool® are completely compatible with the following refrigerator models: These Whirlpool® authorized water filters are entirely compatible with the refrigerator model listed below: Filter 1.
- Filter Listed below are the water filters that have been authorized by Whirlpool® and are totally compatible with your refrigerator model: Whirlpool® certified water filters are completely compatible with the following refrigerator models: Filter 3 Filter number four Model: WHR1RXD1 Color: 1 Pack Quantity: 1 Pack Model: WHR2RXD1 Color: 1 Pack Quantity: 1 Pack Model: WHR4RXD1 Color: 1 Pack Quantity: 1 Pack Model: EDR1RXD1 Color: 1 Pack Quantity: 1 Pack Model: EDR2RXD1 Color: 1 Pack Quantity: 1 Pack EDR3RXD1 is the model number.
- Model: EDR4RXD1 Color: 1 Pack EDR4RXD1 Color: 1 Pack Model: EDR4RXD1 Color: 1 Pack
Don’t see the one you need?
Each and everydrop® offers a variety of additional filters.
Why Whirlpool® Approved Water Filters?
Save money and reduce waste
- When you use your refrigerator water dispenser to keep your family refreshed and hydrated, one water filter equals 1,500 disposable water bottles that you won’t have to buy in the first place.
- Replace your filter every six months to provide the purest water possible.
- A refrigerator water filter can eliminate lead as well as up to 73 other toxins that may be detected in your ice and water, depending on the filter you choose..
- Water filters are independently approved for their appearance and taste, as well as for their health impacts and the presence of new pollutants.
- While some filters may only qualify for one or two categories, a select few filters qualify for each of the three categories.
- Throughout the kitchen and beyond, our Triple Filtration Technology removes impurities from your ice and water, allowing a range of meals and beverages to taste the way they were meant to.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Whirlpool® approved refrigerator water filters have been certified by NSF International to eliminate a variety of pollutants and contaminants in refrigerator water.
- Look for NSF Standard numbers to find out what kind of pollutants a filter has been approved to remove from the environment.
- If you want to enhance the flavor and odor of your water, seek for a filter that has been certified to NSF Standard 42 (National Sanitation Foundation).
- A filter that complies with this standard has been certified to decrease aesthetically objectionable contaminants, such as chlorine, in water.
- Health-effects: NSF Standard 53 should be consulted if there are any health concerns.
- This standard deals with health-related pollutants that are controlled by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Health Canada.
- Asbestos, mercury, and lead are just a handful of the pollutants that are filtered out.
- The filtering of emerging (or novel) toxins is covered by NSF 401, which includes medications and chemicals that are not yet controlled by the Environmental Protection Agency or Health Canada.
- These filters have been shown to minimize one or more of the 15 emerging pollutants that have been tested.
- While some filters may only meet one or two of these requirements, some Whirlpool® approved filters are certified to meet all three requirements at the same time.
- Examine the safety and performance data sheet for your filter to obtain full information on the pollutants that your filter has been certified to minimize.
- The United States has some of the safest tap water available anywhere in the world.
- Regulatory oversight of community water systems is provided by the Environmental Protection Agency of the United States.
- Water quality can vary depending on your local water supply, plumbing systems, and other environmental elements.
- These factors might result in the presence of toxins in your water, which can be harmful.
- Filters can minimize a variety of pollutants and other contaminants to guarantee that tap water is of high quality, or they can enhance the odor and taste of tap water by removing them.
- Some individuals may opt to filter their tap water because they are concerned about potential toxins or simply because they prefer the taste of filtered water over unfiltered water.
In order to obtain information about potential pollutants in your local water, consult the yearly water quality report supplied by your local water provider.This study can assist you in determining which type of filtration system is most appropriate for you and your family.More information about water quality reports may be found in this article from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Those concerned about the presence of lead in their water should opt for a filter that has been certified to NSF Standard 53.This denotes a filtration system that is specifically designed to minimize particular health-related pollutants, such as lead, from the environment.
- Several Whirlpool® approved water filters have received NSF certification for their ability to remove 99 percent of lead3 and other heavy metals from tap water.
- Additionally, they have been verified to decrease asbestos as well as a variety of industrial chemical contaminants.
- NSF International is an independent organization that certifies filters against three types of contaminants: those that affect the appearance and flavor, those that provide a health risk, and those that are developing (or new).
While some filters may only be certified for one or two of the categories, certain Whirlpool® approved filters are certified for all three of the categories listed above.The pH level 6.5 has been certified by NSF International as being effective in removing 99 percent of the lead present.The amount of reduction varies depending on the pH level of your water.The contaminants that are minimized by this water filter are not necessarily present in the water of all consumers.It takes only a few minutes to replace your filter.In order to begin, search for the filter’s serial number printed on it or the water filter suggested for your Whirlpool® refrigerator based on its model number on the filter.
Find out what my model number is.Then, inside your refrigerator, find the location of your filter and secure it there.Remove the old filter and replace it with the new one, ensuring sure that it is firmly sealed in place before proceeding.It is critical to set your filter in the proper location for your individual filter model.Keep in mind to follow these simple step-by-step filter replacement instructions, which include brief how-to videos.Once your filter has been changed, pour four gallons of water down the line to ensure that the new filter is fully flushed.
We recommend that you change the filter in your Whirlpool refrigerator when the indication light illuminates, every 6 months, or whenever it becomes necessary.Your water filter may be blocked or improperly placed if you are getting little ice cubes, little ice output, and/or prolonged dispensing periods from your machine.You can bypass the water system’s bypass mode4 if you are unable to repair a blocked water filter straight away after removing it.In this manner, the water system will be able to bypass the filter and continue running without limiting the amount of water flowing through the system.
- Install a new filter as soon as possible to ensure that your water is properly filtered.
- NOTE: It is typical for a few drops of water to be dispensed soon after dispensing.
- After pressing the dispenser button for a few seconds, you may wish to place your glass beneath the dispenser for a few seconds.
- A bypass cap will be required if you are utilizing EDR4RXD1 as your signal generator.
- This sort of refrigerator requires the installation of a cap or filter in order for the refrigerator to generate water from the dispenser in the first place.
- Do you require any further replacement parts?
Here you can get all of the Whirlpool parts and accessories you need.Whirlpool® refrigerator filter replacements are available.When it’s time to replace the water filter in your Whirlpool® refrigerator, look for water filters that are authorized by Whirlpool®.Water filter replacements from Whirlpool® have been NSF certified to prevent lead as well as up to 65 other potentially dangerous contaminants1.In other words, it’s a Whirlpool® refrigerator water filter you can rely on to produce clean, fresh tasting water for the entire family2.
- The contaminants that are minimized by this water filter are not necessarily present in the water of all consumers. The number and quantity of pollutants removed by different filter types varies. Specific contaminants listed on the Performance Data Sheets of the filters are tested and certified by NSF International in accordance with NSF/ANSI Standards 42, 53, and 401
- select filters are tested and certified by NSF International in accordance with the same standard for the reduction of specific taste and odor contaminants listed on the Performance Data Sheet of the filter. It is possible that the substances eliminated are not present in all consumers’ water.
The Ultimate Guide To Choosing The Best Whirlpool Water Filter in 2022
- Finding the finest whirlpool water filter may be a difficult endeavor, especially when it comes to purchasing something that is not absolutely necessary for your home. In the case of a new item that you desperately want but cannot afford right now, your purchase will have to be placed on hold until the necessary funds become available. When picking the ideal product for you or your family, however, there are occasions when making a decision is important and time-sensitive. What criteria do you use to determine which product is the best? This blog article will assist you in determining what you need to do. Our discussion will include information on what to look for in a product, how to locate it, and our top three recommendations for the greatest goods available on the market today. Listed below are some tasks you must complete before choosing the finest whirlpool water filter! The following is a list produced from the Consumer Report for the years 2019, 2020, and 2021: Take into consideration your requirements
- Compare and contrast many objects with one another
- Customer reviews might help you determine which items other consumers would suggest.
- More information may be found on our social media pages: Twitter, Facebook, Blogspot, YouTube, Tumblr, Vingle, and others.
- Take into consideration your requirements.
- Before you begin your search for the most appropriate whirlpool water filter for your needs, you should first determine why you are buying in the first place.
- What kinds of duties will you be using the product for, and what kind of lifestyle will you be leading as a result of your new purchase?
- Keep these considerations in mind while you browse through different product sites and read reviews on various products.
- When you have a clear understanding of how a product will fit into your life, it will be much easier to limit down your choices.
- When purchasing a product, the first thing you should do is determine whether or not you actually require it.
- If you purchase a product without first determining your requirements, you will be unable to utilize it correctly, and the product’s intended purpose will be defeated.
- Because there are so many various companies on the market providing different items with practically identical qualities, the model number is the most effective approach to make the best pick.
- In this case, if you look at their model number, you will be able to come to a rational conclusion.
- Following the identification of your requirement, it is necessary to choose which product will best meet your requirements.
- If you are aware of your requirements, it will be much easier for you to locate a product on the market since you will search for it in the appropriate manner.
- When making this decision, you must examine if the product’s pricing is within your financial reach or not.
- Once you have identified a product from among the various brands available on the market, you must compare it to the other products in the same category because no product is without flaws in terms of characteristics.
2. Compare different merchandise with others.
- Through online comparison services, consumers may easily compare different products in a fashion-forward manner.
- You may visit these websites using your computer or mobile device, and they are specifically built for consumers who are seeking for the best bargains on things.
- Because we do not have to search for hours before discovering the goods we want to buy, these comparison services are quite beneficial in terms of saving us time and effort.
- This data has been arranged and shown on the website so that everyone can discover what they are searching for at a glance, without having to sift through multiple websites or spend hours in congested shopping malls.
- When we visit a comparison website, the first thing we see is a list of the different types of items on sale.
- In order to locate anything that we are interested in, we may browse through the many sorts on offer.
- Furthermore, let us imagine that our top objective is to obtain the greatest whirlpool water filter at the lowest potential price (such as under 500 or under 700).
- Therefore, this information is given in descending order of significance, so that even before reading any evaluations, it is evident which deals are the most affordable.
- The fact that most comparison websites feature quite extensive search tools to assist you in finding the greatest fit for your needs is another advantage of using them.
- We may pick ″both″ if we are looking for the best whirlpool water filter but aren’t sure whether we want an electrical or a manual filter.
- This will ensure that both sorts of models appear in our search results.
- Once we have located acceptable things, all we have to do is click on ″additional information.″ A window with product information will display.
- Here we may find more thorough information on the product’s technical specs, as well as what former customers have to say about it and how much it costs in various retail locations across the world.
- Additionally, above all of these results, there is another bar that has links to different websites where you may purchase the goods as well as their current costs.
3. Read reviews of other customers to see which products they would recommend
- Products with a small number of reviews yet a high star rating (>4.5/5 stars) are often dependable products that previous consumers have tried and evaluated before purchasing.
- There are a variety of methods for determining which product is the best.
- One method is to read reviews on various websites to see what other consumers have to say about a product before making a purchasing decision.
- The greater the number of tests conducted, the greater your chances of discovering a high-quality product in which you can put your faith.
- Nowadays, it is simpler than ever to obtain information on anything, including any product that may be of interest to you.
- This is especially true of internet review sites, where you can find information about everything.
- As a result of the abundance of websites dedicated to offering user evaluations of products, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer number of alternatives available to determine how much people like or dislike a certain item.
- Is there anything specific?
- Another smart approach is to look at the product ratings on these websites for each item you are considering purchasing.
- After reading client evaluations, you can quickly determine which goods are the most popular with customers and which ones are the most straightforward to use.
- A great source of this type of information is Amazonite, which is one of my favorite websites.
- They’ve got everything there for you.
- They have a section on their website where you can read what other customers who purchased a certain product thought of it and how well it performed for them.
- They also display the pricing and inform you whether or not other people thought the price was too high or too cheap.
- It’s a rather straightforward process.
- It is just a matter of going to Amazon and purchasing whichever low-cost items catch your eye!
- Another method of determining which goods is the greatest would be to speak with others in real life who may have used similar things in the past, as well as friends and family members who may have knowledge of which products function well.
If you have to buy something for yourself, this is perhaps the greatest alternative……………………………………Another option would be to inquire with the store clerk about which items are good before purchasing one.Again, you don’t want to purchase something without first researching what others have purchased and what they think about it!The final piece of advice I might give is to conduct some online research using Google or YouTube as sources.Everything these days is done online, and if you aren’t ″connected in″ all of the time, you may lose out on critical information that might assist you in finding the best product for your needs and requirements.
- Examine the highest-rated products in a variety of categories and perform some preliminary research.
- You’ll be pleased that you took the initiative!
- Amazon is offering a discount!
Take a look at it.
- Whether you are promoting the finest whirlpool water filter or thinking about starting an e-commerce company, this article will supply you with a wealth of useful information.
- We are certain that by following the suggestions in this post and knowing how consumers think while they are shopping for things, you will be able to save time and generate more sales with less work.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you want assistance in selecting the appropriate product for your company.
- After reading our Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Whirlpool Water Filter, you have reached the conclusion.
- We hope you found it useful and that you will feel confidence in your future purchase as a result of having this knowledge at your disposal!
- Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns regarding anything we talked about today in this meeting.
- We are always willing to assist you!
- Products that are best sellers on Amazon!
- Take a look at it.
The Best Refrigerator Water Filters of 2022
- If you purchase a product after clicking on one of our affiliate links, BobVila.com and its partners may get a commission.
- Image courtesy of Amazon.com Increasingly widespread in recent years are worries about the quality of our drinking water supply.
- As a result, we’ve grown more conscious of – and appreciative of – the water filters that come standard with refrigerators’ built-in water dispensers.
- However, while these water filters provide us with the comfort of cold, filtered water in our kitchens, replacing the factory model filter when it wears out may be a frustrating experience.
- Obtaining a new filter that is the proper fit might be difficult since refrigerator manufacturers have unique filter designs.
- When you finally locate a filter that will work with your appliance, keep in mind that not all filters are created equal.
- Many of these filters will just lower chlorine levels and enhance flavor, while others will remove hazardous substances such as heavy metals, pesticides, and even medications from the water.
- It is the purpose of this article to go through the aspects that customers should look for when purchasing the finest refrigerator water filter for their requirements.
- These water filters are among the most effective solutions available on the market, and they are compatible with the vast majority of refrigerator models.
- EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter is the best overall choice
- the runner-up is the Culligan Icemaker and Refrigerator Filtration System
- the best for FRIGIDAIRE is the FRIGIDAIRE ULTRAWF Pure Source Ultra Water Filter
- the best for MAYTAG is the ICEPURE PLUS NSF 53&42 Refrigerator Water Filter
- the best for KENMORE and SAMSUNG is the PURELINE DA29-00020B
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Refrigerator Water Filter
Identifying which water filter model is compatible with your refrigerator is only the first step in the decision-making process for picking a replacement filter for your refrigerator. Other significant elements to consider are the impurities that the product eliminates as well as the filter’s life expectancy.
- First and foremost, the water filter must be small enough to fit in the refrigerator.
- Fridge filters aren’t available in every household.
- Generally speaking, most refrigerator filters are only compatible with one or two refrigerator manufacturers, owing to the great diversity of connection types in refrigerators.
- Remove the old filter and look at the model number to see which filters are compatible with your refrigerator; the simplest option is to remove the old filter and check the model number.
- An examination of the refrigerator’s user manual (or the manufacturer’s website) should provide you with the information you want.
- One final alternative is to visit the water filter manufacturer’s website, where you should be able to discover a list of refrigerator manufacturers and model numbers, as well as a list of water filters that are compatible with each of them.
- Water filtering systems are no longer required for those who have older-model refrigerators that lack built-in filtration systems.
- Instead, pitchers or a home water filtration system can be used instead.
- It is equally as effective as many integrated filters to install inline systems that connect the water dispenser’s water supply to the refrigerator’s water supply.
NSF Testing and Verification
- Consumer items are tested and certified by NSF International to guarantee that they meet certain performance, safety, and quality criteria. One of their areas of expertise is evaluating items in the water business, including refrigerator water filters, which they have done in the past. Refrigerator water filters are tested and certified by the organization using a variety of various classes to determine what they are capable of. NSF 42 certification: Any water filter that is worth its salt will at the very least have the NSF 42 certification. Filters with an NSF 42 grade will minimize pollutants such as chlorine while also enhancing the flavor and odor of the water they filter.
- This grade indicates that the filter can remove a greater variety of pollutants that might cause health concerns, such as arsenic, mercury, radon, asbestos, and other harmful substances.
- NSF 401: Filters with an NSF 401 grade are capable of removing some dangerous compounds from drinking water, such as prescription and over-the-counter medications, herbicides, pesticides, and other chemicals, such as detergents, from the water.
- Although these certificates aid in determining the effectiveness of filters, they are not without flaws.
- However, while one filter may be certified to remove heavy metals according to NSF 53 standards, the amount and types of heavy metals it can remove may differ from those of another NSF 53-certified filter.
- As a result, prior to making a purchase, it is critical to thoroughly investigate the filters and determine which pollutants they remove and which ones they do not remove.
- Purchasing a water filter only to discover that it introduces dangerous substances into the water that is being filtered is the last thing anyone wants to experience. In addition to the certificates listed above, there are other NSF certifications that may be found on the labels of water filters. These certificates demonstrate that the filters themselves were not made with particular harmful compounds in mind when they were designed. A filter with an NSF 372 grade will not leach lead into the water
- instead, it will purify the water.
- An NSF 61 grade is more inclusive, suggesting that the filter will not leech dangerous compounds into the water
- nevertheless, it is less specific.
- The majority of refrigerator filters are designed to fit into a compartment within the refrigerator and are simple to install.
- They either plug into a socket and lock into place when the cover is closed, or they twist-lock into a receptacle and lock into place when the cover is closed.
- This straightforward installation style enables the user to effortlessly change the filter without having to leave the refrigerator door open for an extended amount of time.
- While replacing the filter is a simple task, getting the filter ready for usage takes a little more time and effort.
- It is necessary to pass 4 gallons or more of water through most filters as the last step of installation before they are safe for usage.
- This is done to drain out any particles of debris that may have become lodged inside the filter during delivery.
- This might be a time-consuming operation that necessitates multiple journeys back and forth to the sink to drain the water from the sink.
- Most refrigerator water filters have a lifespan of around six months before they need to be replaced.
- This equates to between 200 and 300 gallons of filtered water per day for the average family of four.
- Despite the fact that water filters can be costly, many manufacturers package them in quantities of two or more at a lower per-unit cost.
- Purchasing water filters in bulk is a great way to save money while also ensuring that the water in your refrigerator stays fresh.
Our Top Picks
- The list below narrows the field of water filters to include some of the best ones available on the market for refrigerators from the most well-known manufacturers in the industry. They can filter out a wide spectrum of pollutants according to their many NSF certifications. The water filters listed below will assist you in improving the water quality in a refrigerator’s water dispenser and ice maker, among other things. Image courtesy of Amazon.com EveryDrop is one of the few refrigerator water filters on the market that is compatible with a wide range of major refrigerator manufacturers. This product’s wide range of compatibility, along with its ability to remove a wide variety of impurities, makes it one of the finest all-around choices for cleaning water from the refrigerator’s dispenser. In addition to increasing flavor and removing chlorine, this filter has been tested to meet NSF 42, 53, and 401 requirements. It also eliminates a wide range of pollutants, including medicines, lead and pesticides, mercury and a wide range of other contaminants. EveryDrop is a bottom-freezer and side-by-side refrigerator filter that is compatible with a broad range of refrigerators from Whirlpool, KitchenAid, JennAir, Maytag, and Amana. It is not the cheapest filter on the market, but it is also not the most costly. Each filter has a capacity of 200 gallons, which is about six months of use for a family of four. While putting the necessary 4 liters of water through it prior to use is a time-consuming operation, installation is straightforward: just insert the replacement filter into the filter compartment and secure it in place by shutting the compartment door after it has been closed. Features: Compatible with many brands
- removes a wide spectrum of impurities
- lasts up to 6 months for a household of four on average.
- Image courtesy of Amazon.com Despite the fact that a refrigerator does not come equipped with an in-built water filtration system for its ice maker and water dispenser, this does not imply that one must hunt for an alternative method of filtering the household’s drinking water. When the Culligan water filter is installed between the water supply and the refrigerator, it filters the water that is fed into the water and ice dispensers. Although this filter does not have the high-level NSF 401 designation that other high-end refrigerator filters have, it does have the NSF 42 rating, which means it reduces chlorine while also improving flavor. What’s great about the Culligan is that it is around half the price of higher-end filters while filtering approximately 500 gallons, which is almost twice as much as a standard filter. One possible disadvantage of this technology is that it might be difficult to install in compact locations, which makes it particularly suitable for refrigerators. Despite the fact that this filter comes with a wall-mounting kit, it must be installed within three feet of the refrigerator in order to operate properly. Installing it inside a cabinet next to it is a fantastic solution. removing chlorine and improving flavor
- excellent for refrigerators without a filtering system
- long lasting
- Hard to install in tight spaces
- Image courtesy of Amazon.com This water filter eliminates impurities ranging from heavy metals to pesticides, making it a desirable alternative for individuals who are concerned about having clean drinking water on a regular basis. Despite the fact that it is more expensive than other filters on the market, you get what you pay for. This carbon-based water filter is NSF 42, 53, and 401 accredited, which means it does more than simply improve the flavor of the water: it also improves the health of the user. It will also remove contaminants such as lead, nitrates, pesticides, and mercury from the water, making it safer to drink. Installation of the FRIGIDAIRE filter is straightforward: Open the cartridge holder on the upper back of the refrigerator, take out the old cartridge, insert the new cartridge, and close the lid to complete the process. Before using the Pure Source Ultra, flush it thoroughly by running water through it for three minutes. Once fitted, the filter will be effective for about six months, or 200 gallons of water. ProsRemoves heavy metals and pesticides from drinking water
- provides cleaner drinking water
- is simple to install
- Water can be cloudy when filter is first installed
- Image courtesy of Amazon.com With filtering stages that remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury, lower chlorine content, and enhance taste, the ICEPURE water filter is a great choice for Maytag refrigerator owners who want to improve the taste of their water. This water filter has NSF ratings of 53, 42, and 372 and is available in a two-pack at a reasonable price. Additionally, carbon filters are included with ICEPURE, which enhance the flavor of the water in addition to eliminating several heavy metals from it. This device has the additional advantage of being able to filter up to 300 gallons of water, whereas many comparable products advocate changing the filter at the 200-gallon mark. This type is designed to replace the water filter in most Maytag refrigerators, and it is simple to install. Quick turn connection and snap-in installation allow the filter to be rapidly connected to the refrigerator filter bay. ProsAffordable
- each pack contains two units
- removes smells from water
- May need frequent replacing in a busy household
- Image courtesy of Amazon.com Owners of Kenmore and Samsung refrigerators who are hesitant to spend a lot of money to replace their outdated water filters may save a lot of money by purchasing this three-pack from PURELINE. Each filter costs less than a third of the price of comparable water filters, making this package an attractive and cheap option for keeping refrigerator water clean. It employs three steps, including a coconut carbon filter block, to improve flavor while simultaneously decreasing chlorine levels and removing sediment and heavy metals from the water supply (see Figure 1). Each PURELINE filter can treat about 300 gallons of water before it has to be replaced. This cartridge-style filter fits in the fridge’s cartridge holder in minutes and is easy to use. Three-stage filtration
- high rate of flow
- Much less expensive than name-brand products
- Fridge may not recognize the installation
EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter is a high-quality filter that can be used with practically any brand of refrigerator and provides fresh clean water for up to 6 months.
How We Chose the Best Refrigerator Water Filters
- Clean-tasting water is provided by the finest refrigerator water filters, which are simple to install and do not need to be updated more than once or twice a year.
- Our list of suggestions include a selection of items from the most reputable companies on the market, each of which stands out for its high level of quality, durability, and compatibility.
- We made certain that our best options were subjected to rigorous NSF testing and verification, and some of these filters have received several certifications and ratings in order to guarantee the greatest possible water quality.
- After conducting extensive research on the subject, we discovered that one of the most important considerations for shoppers is replacement frequency.
- As a result, we included options for filters that last longer than the average 200 gallons (one of our picks can last for an incredible 500 gallons), which will help reduce the number of times per year that the filter will need to be changed.
If you have any remaining concerns regarding refrigerator water filters, continue reading for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about these devices, including how to use them.
Q. Is there a difference between refrigerator water filters?
There is a distinction between the two. Refrigerator water filters have been tested and approved to remove a variety of pollutants. While some water filters are merely capable of reducing chlorine and improving flavor, others are capable of removing cysts, heavy metals, pesticides, and even medications from water.
Q. How do I know if my refrigerator water filter is clogged?
A water filter will eventually become clogged with the impurities it is designed to remove. A filter replacement may be necessary if you find that it is taking longer than usual to fill a glass of water.
Q. How long do refrigerator water filters last?
In most cases, refrigerator water filters have a lifespan of around six months, which translates to approximately 200 to 300 gallons of water depending on how frequently the filter is used.
Q. Can I recycle my old refrigerator water filters?
While old water filters cannot be recycled through conventional municipal recycling programs, several manufacturers and recyclers do provide recycling services for used water filters to customers.
The 7 Best Water Filters and Purifiers to Remove Contaminants and Impurities
- Each product that we showcase has been picked and vetted by our editorial staff after being thoroughly researched and tested.
- If you make a purchase after clicking on one of the links on this page, we may receive a commission.
- Water is at the top of the list of all the items that are required to live a healthy existence.
- Despite the fact that many individuals in the United States have access to water through taps, two million people do not have access to uncontaminated water at all.
- Furthermore, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the number of pollutants that might render water unfit for consumption is enormous.
- Water filters can in handy in this situation.
Why are water filters important?
- Water filters, according to Maya Feller, MS, RD, CDN, certified dietitian nutritionist and owner of Maya Feller Nutrition, not only improve the flavor of water, but they also eliminate dangerous toxins such as physical, chemical, biological, and radioactive components.
- ″Heavy metals, medicines, and certain pesticides are removed by these purifiers and filtration systems,″ Feller explains to Health magazine.
- ″If we don’t drink pure water, it’s truly damaging to our health,″ says the author.
- Water contaminated with bacteria, pesticides, E.
- coli, or heavy metals has been linked to gastrointestinal illnesses, cancer and reproductive effects as well as unpleasant symptoms like stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.
- This highlights the importance of having a water filtration system in place to protect one’s health and well-being.
How do water filters work?
- Physical filtration, chemical filtration, and reverse osmosis are the three forms of water filtration available.
- Physical filtration is a method of purifying water by forcing it through a membrane layer that traps particles and prevents them from entering the final cleaned water.
- In chemical filtration, water is treated with an active ingredient such as carbon, which works as a magnet and attracts pollutants such as lead to the surface of the filter media.
- For example, reverse osmosis differs from physical and chemical filtration in that it employs pressure to force water through a semipermeable membrane layer.
- This membrane features holes that are tiny enough to catch pollutants while still being large enough to enable water to pass through.
How to choose the best water filter?
- The ideal water filter for you will be determined mostly by your budget and the amount of water purification you require.
- ″Various units remove different pollutants or classes of contaminants from water,″ Mia Syn, MS, RDN, a registered dietitian located in Charleston, South Carolina, tells Health.
- ″Different units remove different contaminants or classes of contaminants from water.″ In the case of those in need of a filter that can handle heavy-duty cleaning, Syn suggests reverse osmosis systems since they are effective ″Using high pressure, drive water through a semipermeable membrane, allowing pollutants to pass through.
- They also ″are successful in eradicating all disease-causing organisms and the vast majority of chemical pollutants,″ according to the researchers ″—as well as bacteria, parasites, heavy metals, and pesticides, among other things, she explains.
- Reverse osmosis systems are perfect for treating flowing water from the faucet as well as fresh water sources from streams and rivers, among other things.
- Filters that utilize granular-activated carbon, on the other hand––which are typically found in water pitchers and filtration bottles––soak up pollutants that give water a bad taste or odor, such as chlorine, making this type of filter excellent for tap water.
The best water filters and purifiers
Generally speaking, ″a high-quality water purifier is a great investment because it requires little maintenance, saves you money in the long term, improves the flavor of your water, and improves your health,″ according to Syn. You’ll find the seven greatest water purifiers and filters in this section, which will save you money while also removing microorganisms with every pour.
Best Overall: Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
- Feller highly recommends this filter since it does two functions at the same time.
- A purifier and filter in one, it removes more than 200 pollutants from tap water, ponds and streams, and other sources of drinking water.
- There are no pumps required because the system operates on a gravity-feeding principle.
- This filter, which measures 19.25 by 8.5 inches and contains 2.25 gallons of water, is perfect for families of up to four people because of its small size.
- Furthermore, because it does not rely on power or plumbing, this device is completely transportable as well.
- In addition, you’ll save money because of the system’s long-lasting construction, which means you won’t have to replace it until the filtration system has collected 6,000 gallons of water.
- One buyer expressed himself as follows: ″The water in my apartment building is the worst I’ve ever tasted.
- It was so bad that even using Brita filters didn’t make much of a difference in the flavor.
- There were constantly rusty particles on the bottom of my distilled water container, as well as lime scale, which made the water smell horrible.
- Because I could obtain a refund if the filter didn’t work, I decided to take the risk and buy it anyhow.
- The water now has a lovely flavor to it!
- I’ve noticed that I’m drinking a lot of water lately.
- It’s quite simple to refill and to always have fresh water on hand.
- This is something I should have done years ago.″ The Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter is available for purchase on Amazon.com for $332.
Best Budget: Brita Standard Everyday Water Pitcher
- In contrast to other bulkier water filtration systems, the Brita Water Pitcher is compact and lightweight, measuring 10.7 by 5.4 inches and weighing 1.3 pounds, making it easy to store in a refrigerator.
- The carbon particles in the brand’s filter are activated as water passes through them, lowering the amount of chlorine, copper, mercury, and cadmium in the water supply.
- The manufacturer suggests replacing the filter every two months in order to achieve the greatest performance.
- As a whole, ″Brita is a reasonably priced pitcher and sink faucet home water treatment system for individuals searching for an efficient system on a tight budget,″ Syn concludes.
- With more than 30,000 five-star reviews, it’s no surprise that the filter has developed a devoted following on Amazon.
- ″We had become bored of shelling out large sums of money on bottled water.
- We reside in Florida, where the tap water is not very excellent and contains a high concentration of minerals ″a customer on Amazon.com commented.
- ″This is an excellent solution, and for whatever reason, I prefer using it over an integrated fridge filter, particularly because the water stays colder while stored inside the fridge rather than being cooled by automated filtering.
- If you’re weary of spending a lot of money on bottled or jug water, this is a great option.″ The following items are available for purchase: Brita Standard Everyday Water Pitcher, $27 (was $35); amazon.com
Best Water Osmosis: APEC Water System Reverse Osmosis Filter System
- According to Syn, the greatest reverse osmosis filters eliminate the vast majority of chemical pollutants, and this one from Apec Water System is the best of the best.
- In addition to being the number one best-seller in Amazon’s under-sink and countertop filtration category, this five-stage filtration system effectively eliminates more than 1,000 impurities such as chlorine, arsenic, lead, phosphates, heavy metals, and other toxins.
- There are no replacement filters required since they are long-lasting (they should be replaced after 365 days), and the leak-free tubing ensures that no water is lost throughout the process.
- According to an Amazon reviewer: ″The primary reason for installing this filter was to improve the flavor of our well water.
- However, even though our water quality is naturally high enough that we don’t need much more than a sediment filter, there has always been an occasional hint of a sour taste to it.
- Everyone in the family instantly noticed the difference after installing this reverse osmosis filtration system, which was quite simple to do.
- It fits snugly into our kitchen sink base cabinet, leaving enough of space for detergents, cleaners, and other products to be stored underneath.
- In order to avoid drilling another hole in our solid surface countertop, we decided to remove the hand soap pump dispenser and replace it with a faucet that fit precisely into the previously pre-drilled hole in the countertop.
- If you’re wanting to easily add filtered water to your kitchen sink, this product is highly recommended.″ To purchase: APEC Water System Reverse Osmosis Filter System, $200 (was $260), available at amazon.com.
Best for Easy Installation: Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
- A total of seven stages of filtration are used by the Waterdrop filtration system to remove fluoride, limescale, and heavy metals down to the micron level (0.0001 micron).
- Not only does it eliminate particles from the water, but it also enhances the flavor of the water owing to the activated carbon filters, which function like sponges, soaking up impurities.
- Due to the fact that it is tankless, you can put the filtration system beneath your sink, freeing up valuable counter space.
- Furthermore, it is quite quick, filtering a cup of water in around 12 seconds.
- Customers on Amazon praised the simplicity of the installation, with one customer stating: ″The fact that all of the connections are made in one spot makes the installation much simpler than with earlier units.
- It makes everything simpler in general.
- In addition, the separate filters are quite simple to connect one to the other.
- Simply place the item in the designated slot and turn.
- This, in my perspective, represents a significant advance.
- In addition, the unit contains an internal TDS reader, which is visible on the front of the device.
- The fact that the device takes up such a little amount of space is its most appealing feature.
- It is, by far, the tiniest RO system that I have ever had.
- I’m able to store it beneath the sink while still having enough of space for other things.″ Amazon.com has the Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System for $494 with a coupon (was $549).
Best Countertop: AquaTru Water Filtration Purification System
- If you don’t want to deal with plumbing or installation, this three-quart countertop solution from AquaTru is a good alternative.
- This over-the-counter gadget, measuring 14 by 14 inches, takes only minutes to set up and eliminates 83 toxins, including lead, chromium, copper, radium, chlorine, and other impurities.
- A total of four filters are used in this process, consisting of two pre-filters, a carbon filter, and an activated coconut shell carbon filter.
- The filters strain 1,200 gallons of water every day, which means you won’t have to change the filters for six to two years, making them extremely cost-effective.
- ″It’s a sleek machine that generates very little noise.
- I reside in central Florida, and the city water here has a sulfuric smell and flavor to it, which I find offensive.
- It is also a hard water source.
- We just relocated, and our normal filter would not work with the new faucet.
- Even if the former one (it was an Aquasana) performed an excellent job of enhancing the quality of the water, there was still hardness in the water when it was replaced ″said one of the reviewers ″However, with the addition of this new filter, the water has the appearance and flavor of bottled water: there is no hardness and no sulfur smell or taste.
- For the past couple of days, I’ve been using this filter and am really pleased with my purchase.″ Purchase the AquaTru Water Filtration Purification System, which costs $426 on Amazon.com.
Best Bottle: Sport Berkey Water Filter Bottle
- This water bottle is an excellent choice if you’re seeking for a portable version of the Berkey filter.
- Designed with a gravity-fed filter, the bottle filters up to 640 refills of tap water and 160 refills of untreated water before needing to be replaced.
- This bottle is 11 by 2 inches in size, making it compact enough to fit in your bag while yet holding up to 22 ounces of water, making it excellent for use in the outdoors or when on the run, according to Syn.
- Another noteworthy aspect is that the bottle is BPA-free and constructed of non-leaching materials, which means that the chemicals in the product will not combine with the water.
- ″If I run out of water while kayaking, I can just dip my Berkey into the lake to replenish my supplies.
- Water that is fresh, clear, and pure ″remarked one of our customers.
- ″Also, did you know that the majority of portable water filtration systems do not filter out medications, which is good news for you outdoor enthusiasts?
- Nope, not even Sawyer Squeeze, which is the most popular.
- So I consider myself really fortunate to have discovered Berkey, and I have recommended them to a large number of others.
- If you’re thinking about making this purchase, you won’t be disappointed.″ Sport Berkey Water Filter Bottle ($45; amazon.com) is a good place to start.
Best Carbon Filter: Nakii Water Filter Pitcher
- This pitcher, which uses an activated carbon filter, eliminates 98 percent of chlorine and mercury, resulting in better-tasting water and the removal of unattractive colors caused by corrosion.
- It’s also extremely efficient, filtering up to 150 gallons of water each minute at a rate of 1.3 liters per minute.
- Apart from that, the pitcher is free of BPA and has been certified by the Water Quality Association.
- It’s no surprise that it has almost 3,500 five-star reviews on Amazon, indicating that it is popular among buyers.
- In the words of one reviewer, ″I used to use another brand for years before discovering that it didn’t even filter out rust (which was what I needed it for).″ ″So I did some research and discovered that this particular model had the highest rating on Amazon and is within my pricing range.
- It’s impossible for my family and me to believe how delicious the water now tastes!
- GET OVER IT!
- If you make sure the filter is fully inserted, it works perfectly, and it takes just a few minutes for the reservoir to be completely empty.″ The Nakii Water Filter Pitcher is $24 (was $37) and can be purchased on Amazon.
- To receive a dose of retail therapy in the form of an edited selection of editor-approved finds and must-have bargains, sign up for our Shop Well email newsletter.
Do Refrigerator Water Filters Actually Work?
At DiscountFilters.com, we are frequently asked, ″Do refrigerator water filters genuinely work?″ This is a frequently asked question. Probably the best response we can provide to that question is, ″Without a doubt!″ All that has to be answered is the issue of ″how.″ To begin with, let’s go straight to the source.
Why Should I Use a Refrigerator Water Filter?
- A fraction of the toxins contained in water must be removed by local water treatment plants, leaving behind numerous particles that are safe for us to consume.
- Lead, rust, chlorine, and sediment are just a few of the toxins that may be found in municipal drinking water.
- A significant number of the contaminants that water treatment plants fail to remove are removed by refrigerator water filters.
- An investigation by the University of Arizona and Good Housekeeping discovered that refrigerator water filters are one of the most efficient methods for removing contaminants from drinking water.
- Fridge water filters are much more effective in removing impurities from drinking water than pitcher water filters, which are often used at home by many people.
- Refrigerator filters for water-dispensing refrigerators are an absolute necessity in every household.
- Apart from the fact that these filters eliminate impurities from your drinking water, they also dispel any doubts you may have about the quality of the water you and your family are consuming.
- Nobody should have to be concerned about whether or not their drinking water is safe to consume.
- Everyone should be assured in the knowledge that the water in their house is pure and healthy, allowing them to relax and focus on other things.
How Do Refrigerator Water Filters Work?
- ″Can you tell me exactly what the filters do?″ you might wonder.
- ″Can you tell me how they purify my water?″ It’s really not that complicated.
- Refrigerator water filters remove pollutants from the water by pushing it through activated carbon that is included within the filters.
- The carbon functions as a contaminant magnet, attracting and trapping contaminants and particles, with the ultimate result being clean, healthful drinking water for you and your family.
- That’s all there is to it.
- Yes, it truly is that straightforward!
- The water filters, like the bags in an old Oreck vacuum, can only remove so many impurities before they need to be replaced, much like the bags in a vacuum.
- A refrigerator water filter that has been overused will not be able to effectively remove dangerous compounds that are still present in the water.
- When the carbon within the fridge filter becomes completely coated with impurities, the water flows through the filter without being cleansed, resulting in dirty water being returned to you.
- Water that has passed through old, overused filters may even remove some of the impurities that have been retained and return them to your drinking water.
- It is not need to be concerned because keeping your water filter up to date will prevent this from happening.
Do Refrigerator Water Filters Work?
- To summarize, the answer is YES!
- If you keep your refrigerator water filters in good condition and change them on a regular basis, they will last for years.
- Here’s what we recommend: Make sure to replace your water filter on a regular basis, as specified in your appliance’s owner’s handbook, which is often once every six months.
- Keeping your water clean, clear, and nutritious will guarantee that it continues to taste excellent.
- All of our ClearChoice refrigerator filters ship for free with purchases over $50 and are eligible for free returns as well.
- Shop our Refrigerator Water Filters to get the one that’s right for you!
- These popular refrigerator filters are available for purchase: ukf8001, mwf, adq36006101, wfcb, da29-00020b, da29-00003g, 5231ja2006a, 5231ja2006b, ukf7003, 8171413, and others.
- 14,798 people have looked at this post.
6 Best Refrigerator Water Filters in [year]
- After more than 14 hours of study and testing, our top selection for the finest refrigerator water filter is the Icepure Pro UKF8001 NSF.
- This filter outperformed the competition.
- It filters your drinking water with NSF/ANSI 53 certification for excellent pollutant removal, and it has a large six-month or 300-gallon service life, depending on how much you use it.
- Making the right choice for your refrigerator water filter might be the difference between a drink of crisp, clear water and a hazy glass of stale stale water.
- Our review was based on the design, construction, filtering capabilities, quantity and kind of industry certifications, lifetime, simplicity of installation, and guarantee offered by the product under consideration.
- Learn more about the Icepure ProICEPURE PRO UKF8001 NSF Certified Refrigerator Water Filter and the other six water filters that made the cut by continuing to read this article.
Top 6 Best Refrigerator Water Filters in 2022
1 ICEPURE PRO UKF8001 Refrigerator Water Filter
- Award: BEST SELECTION REASONS WHY WE LIKE IT: Featuring three NSF/ANSI certifications (42,53,372) for the elimination of smells and foul taste, as well as impurities such as lead and mercury, this is the finest water filter for certain Whirlpool and Maytag refrigerators. Pros Three NSF/ANSI certifications
- filters out 90% of the most common pollutants and is BPA-free
- three NSF/ANSI certifications
- Exceptional 6-month service life (for 300 gallons) with a lifetime warranty
- Cons Some users may find the water flow to be excessively sluggish
- the coupling travel length may not be precisely suited to particular models.
- It also has a lengthy service life, with replacements advised every 6 months or 300 gallons of water used, whichever comes first.
- Installation is also a pleasure, taking less than 20 seconds thanks to a snap-on mechanism that attaches to the filter cartridge port on your refrigerator.
- During our testing, we noticed that the water was significantly clearer and had a more pleasant taste when we replaced the refrigerator filter.
- Related: We also have a list of the finest refrigerator thermometers to suggest.
- This refrigerator water filter has received a slew of certifications that attest to its filtration abilities, including NSF/ANSI 53, 42, and 372 certifications for lead removal of 99.6 percent, mercury removal of 90.2 percent, and chlorine removal of 99.6 percent, among others.
- This refrigerator filter replacement has also been tested and approved by the WQA, TUV, and ROHS, all of which are European Union-based standards.
- Consider it the U.S.
- counterpart of UL (Underwriter Laboratories), one of the nation’s major product safety agencies, which is based in the United Kingdom.
- Investing in this water filter may turn out to be one of the finest decisions you’ve made in your life.
- If you want to give your kitchen a facelift, take a look at the finest french door refrigerator available on the market today.
2 EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
- Sale of the Year Award: HONORABLE MENTION AND THE REASONS WHY WE LIKE IT: More than 25 different pollutants are reduced by this refrigerator water filter, which works on certain Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, and JennAir brand refrigerator models, among others. Pros It is compatible with more than four refrigerator brands
- it is NSF 401, 53, and 42 approved.
- The percent of service life that lasts six months replaces 1500 water bottles.
- Cons a high price
- Depending on the model number, it may take longer than expected to certify compatibility.
- Some customers claimed that the water flow was initially poor.
- Our favorite feature of this Whirlpool refrigerator water filter (which, as previously said, is compatible with other manufacturers as well) is its capacity to filter water three times.
- Different layers of filtration within the filter aid in the removal of particles in the order of their size (from top to bottom), ranging from minute debris to pesticides.
- Regarding the other brands, this refrigerator filter is the only one that has been authorized by KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, and JennAir, among other manufacturers.
- Additionally, an indication that alerts the user when it is time to change the battery is quite useful.
- Related: Are you looking for a fantastic alternative?
- Consider purchasing one of the top upright freezers available.
- In addition to being NSF 401, 53, and 42 certified, this finest water filter for Kitchenaid refrigerator ensures 90 percent or better filtration of emergency toxins, as well as popular ones that impact taste and odor such as lead, mercury, and chlorine.
- It also saves you the money you would have spent on 1,500 water bottles (about 300 gallons) with a 6-month shelf life.
- Installation is simple, requiring less than five seconds to pop the cartridge into the refrigerator’s cartridge port.
- It therefore qualifies as a winner in our book.
3 GE RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter
- BEST FOR GENERAL ELECTRICITY, according to the sales award REASONS WHY WE LIKE IT: In addition to removing five trace medicines, such as BPA and progesterone, this refrigerator water filter is the best choice for certain GE french-door refrigerators with an emphasis on eliminating five trace pharmaceuticals. Pros The product complies with NSF 42 and 53 requirements.
- Filters off residues of pharmaceuticals (such as ibuprofen and progesterone)
- Very simple to put together
- Cons The usage of a built-in RFID chip avoids the need for generic filters.
- Only certain GE refrigerators are compatible with this product.