A.O. Smith or Rheem: Which Water Heater Is Better
- A water heater in the home is a significant piece of equipment that you hope to last for many years before needing to be replaced, and it may be a costly item to replace.
- Thus, while installing a new water heater, you should take care to select a device of high quality.
- Rheem and A.O.
Smith are two well-known manufacturers of water heaters.So, which of these would be the ideal option for a water heater for your home based on your needs?Both Rheem and A.O.Smith manufacture high-quality water heaters.The difference is in the number of units available, their availability, and their price.
- Even while Rheem units are more costly, they are more widely accessible and include smart technology and solar choices.
- They are less expensive and offer a greater assortment of gas-powered versions than A.O.
- Smith units.
- When it comes to replacing your water heater, you should take your time and think over your purchase carefully because you will be making a 10- to 12-year investment.
While we are always looking for a good deal, you should be certain that you are receiving the best value for your money when it comes to this household item, which is a water heater.You should look for a number of characteristics in a water heater, and we will look at how well Rheem and A.O.Smith water heaters meet these requirements in the next section.
What Features To Look For in A Home Water Heater
- When you begin your search for a new water heater for your house, you must take into account more than just the capacity of the water heater.
- Water heaters that are energy efficient.
- It is important to keep in mind that your water heater may account for up to 18 percent of your total monthly energy bills.
It will be helpful to your budget if you can find a water heater that is energy-efficient in order to lower your energy costs as much as possible from this equipment.EF or Energy Factor ratings will be found on the majority of water heaters, and these ratings will give you an indication of how energy efficient the water heater is.
The dimensions of the water heater. A specific location for the installation of the water heater is usually established in most residences. When acquiring a new one, you must ensure that the unit’s dimensions will enable it to fit into the space that has been assigned for it in your home before making the purchase.
- The amount of water that can be stored in the water heater.
- This issue must be taken into consideration in conjunction with the physical size of the water heating appliance.
- The capacity of a water heater refers to the amount of water it can hold and heat at the same time.
The installation of an insufficiently sized unit may result in the heater being unable to keep up with the demand for hot water in your house.As a result, if two people shower one after the other, there may not be enough hot water left for a third person to shower, and they would have to wait for the water to heat up again.The greater the capacity of the water heater, the more energy it will consume and the greater the physical area it will take up in your home, so choose carefully.
- Fuel for the water heater is referred to as a fuel source.
- Some water heaters are powered by gas, while others are powered by electricity.
- If you wish to install a gas water heater, the room must meet specific ventilation standards before the installation can be completed legally and without risk.
If your space does not match the ventilation criteria for a gas-powered water heater, you will be forced to use an electric water heater instead of a gas water heater.
The water heater’s dependability is important. This is an instance in which brand awareness may have an influence in your decision to purchase a water heater. The product that you want to install should be from a brand that has established itself to be dependable in the business and that manufactures a high-quality product.
The quality and dependability of two major water heater manufacturers’ products will be compared in this article to assist you in determining which brand will be the best choice for your house.
Rheem Vs. A.O. Smith Water Heaters
- When attempting to comprehend a brand of any product, it is sometimes beneficial to examine the firms’ roots and history in order to determine whether or not they have a prolonged history and substantial expertise in creating the items in question.
- Both Rheem and A.O.
- Smith are American enterprises with a history in the United States that dates back almost 100 years each.
Both firms, on the other hand, had quite different origins.From 1862 through 1919, Rheem was involved in the oil refining sector in Richmond, California, where he began his career.The firm that we know today as Rheem was founded in 1925 and initially focused on the production of packaging materials for the petroleum industry.The firm was purchased by the John Wood manufacturing company in 1931, and it was at this point that they began producing water heaters for the public.By 1941, the firm had surpassed all competitors to become the leading maker of water heaters in the United States.
- Since 2007, Rheem has been a sponsor of Richard Childress Racing in the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Smith was formed in 1874 and was first known as a producer of baby carriages and bicycles.
- Later, they expanded their product range to include glass-lined brewery tanks, and in 1960, they began manufacturing water heaters.
As a result of their success in this industry, they were able to expand into Europe in 1972.This information demonstrates that Rheem and A.O.Smith have a long history of success in the manufacturing industry and have developed water heaters with great success in the past.
This says volumes about the overall quality and dependability of both water heater models.
Are Rheem Water Heaters A Good Choice?
In the water heater industry, Rheem is a well-respected company, making it a great decision to purchase and install one of their products in your house. There is a model in one of their ranges that will meet your requirements for a water heater due to the broad range of capacity, power sources, tank, and tankless water heaters that they have available.
Rheem Water Heater Energy-Efficiency
- Rheem is a firm that is dedicated to sustainability, and they are committed to making a positive impact on the environment via the goods that they develop.
- As a result, they have invested a significant amount of time and money into developing goods that are energy efficient and save energy.
- The development of extremely energy-efficient units, as well as the manufacturing of combination or hybrid units, which blend several fuel types in a single unit for higher efficiency, have been the result of this ambition.
As a consequence of their technological advancements in this area, Rheem water heaters are among the most energy-efficient equipment on the market at the present time.
Rheem Water Heater Fuel Source
- Because of its dedication to sustainability, Rheem offers a diverse selection of water heating units with varying levels of energy efficiency.
- These companies provide units that are powered by electricity, natural gas, solar energy, and hybrid units that combine power sources to create a more efficient unit overall.
- Besides producing tank water heaters, Rheem also manufactures a variety of high-quality tankless water heating options.
Using a mix of gas and electricity, the hybrid water heating units provide a water heating unit that is four times more efficient than a conventional electric-powered water heater.Savings on energy expenses of around $480 per year are possible as a result of this.Without a doubt, if you want to install a hybrid solution, you’ll need to make sure that the unit has enough ventilation to accommodate the gas-powered component of the water heating system.
Rheem Water Heater Reliability
- As part of its commitment to sustainability, Rheem has placed a strong emphasis on reliability, which has resulted in high-quality products that are built to last for an extended period of time.
- Due to the fact that it is composed of durable polymers rather than stainless steel, their Marathon brand of water heaters is touted as the ″last water heater you will ever buy.″ This also makes this type lightweight, making it simple to move into position when it is installed in your home, and it needs less structural support to hold the water heater in situ.
- Rheem water heaters have earned a reputation for dependability and long-term performance.
One aspect that contributes to their dependability is the broad presence of distribution centers for the units and replacement parts, which testifies to the availability of the units and spare parts.
Availability Of Rheem Water Heaters
- Given the fact that Rheem is one of the leading producers of water heaters in the United States, it is reasonable to assume that the company has a high level of availability throughout the country.
- Not only are the units easily available, but replacement parts are also readily available, which is a favorable characteristic for this brand’s products.
- Because water heaters can usually be fixed rather than replaced, the overall cost of ownership for these equipment is lower than for other appliances.
When selecting an item that will endure for up to 12 years or more, it is crucial to evaluate the availability of the item.As long as you are certain that spare parts will be accessible for the device for many years into the future, you may have confidence that your water heater will survive much beyond its expected lifespan.
Rheem Water Heater Convenience Features
- In accordance with its revolutionary concept, the firm is producing ″smart″ water heaters that provide a new set of convenience features for an appliance that was previously thought of as a ″install and forget″ item. They generally use ″smart″ features to enhance the performance of their hybrid vehicles, which include the following characteristics. WiFi is pre-installed. The water heater has built-in WiFi, which allows you to connect to the device through an app on your smartphone and control the water heater’s features.
- Detection and notification of leaks. As soon as there is a probable leak, the water heater will inform you and will immediately cut off the water supply valves in order to prevent water damage.
- Water heating on a schedule. In your house, you may configure the water heater to produce hot water at times when it is most required, and to operate in a low-production mode during periods of the day when it is least needed.
- Away mode is activated. Program your water heater to turn off while you are away from home for a lengthy period of time and to turn back on before you return so that you will have hot water when you arrive
Are A.O. Smith Water Heaters A Good Choice?
- Smith also manufactures high-quality water heaters under the brand name A.O.
Many customers who have worked with the firm and have had these units put in their homes have given positive feedback on the units, which supports the company’s dedication to manufacturing high-quality water heaters.Plumbers and plumbing supply shops frequently recommend A.O.Smith water heaters because they are a high-quality water heater that is easy to maintain.In terms of heating water in your house, A.O.Smith water heaters are an excellent choice.
A.O. Smith Water Heater Energy-Efficiency
- The years that A.O.
- Smith has spent in the business of manufacturing and developing water heaters have given them the opportunity to refine their designs to the point where they are now producing water heaters that are extremely energy efficient.
- While each heater model in the range has a distinct energy factor rating, which should be examined for each model, the A.O.
Smith water heaters often outperform equivalent Rheem models in terms of energy efficiency, particularly in the electricity-powered variants, according to the manufacturer.Although there is a slight difference in energy efficiency between the two manufacturers’ products, in some cases the Rheem units outperform their A.O.Smith counterparts.To determine whether brand has a superior EF rating, you would need to compare identical models from both manufacturers.
A.O. Smith Water Heater Fuel Source
- Smith manufactures water heaters that are powered by gas, electricity, and hybrid versions, which mix several heating fuel sources to provide the most cost-effective heating solution.
Smith, like Rheem, manufactures a diverse selection of water heaters that can be fueled by a variety of various power sources.There are natural gas-powered units and propane gas-powered units available from A.O.Smith, which provides a bit more flexibility in the type of gas fuel that may be used.In addition, A.O.Smith has a larger selection of gas-powered water heater models than Rheem does, making it a more competitive option.
- In fact, the only form of water heater that A.O.
- Smith does not manufacture is a solar-powered water heater.
- It is necessary to look at a different manufacturer’s product if you are seeking for an off-grid water heating solution for the purpose of hot water heating.
A.O. Smith Water Heater Reliability
- The water heaters that are manufactured are constructed of high-quality components, resulting in a product with a long service life.
- Many individuals who have an old A.O.
- Smith water heater look to replace it with another model from the same manufacturer because of the known reliability of the water heaters produced by this company.
A.O.Smith and Rheem goods are virtually identical in this sector; the main difference is that Rheem products and parts have the benefit of being more readily available in the marketplace.
A.O. Smith Water Heater Availability
- If you reside in or near a large city, A.O.
- Smith water heaters are readily available in most major centers across the country, making them a convenient option for those who need a water heater.
- Additionally, they have a line of trademark water heaters that are only available via Lowes, so if you live in a region where a Lowes store is located, you may be guaranteed to obtain a supply of A.O.
Smith water heaters and components for these models.A.O.Smith also has a subsidiary brand called as American, which is owned by the company.See our American Water Heater Review for more information (6 Helpful Tips).
Summary And Price Difference For Rheem And A.O. Smith Water Heaters
- The water heaters from Rheem and A.O.
- Smith are both high-quality items, and any of them would be a wonderful choice for your house.
- The most important element in picking between two brands would be which one is the most appropriate for your needs, rather than whether one product is considerably superior than the other.
If you want to go with a more environmentally friendly choice, such as a solar water heater, you would need to purchase a Rheem unit.On the other hand, if you are looking for convenience features that can be incorporated into a smart home design, the Rheem hybrids with their electrical features would be the best option.Because the A.O.Smith units are often less expensive than the Rheem units in terms of pricing, many people believe them to be better value for money than the Rheem units.The third factor to consider is accessibility.
- Because the Rheem brand is more widely available than the A.O.
- Smith brand, the brand of water heater that is most convenient for you may be dictated by your geographic location.
- DISCLAIMER: The information provided on HomeInspectionInsider.com is not intended to be professional guidance.
- Before beginning any job, you should contact with a competent expert and verify that all necessary permits have been obtained.
It is owned and operated by Hubert Miles who is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by placing advertisements and links on their websites that direct traffic to Amazon.com (hereinafter referred to as ″Amazon.com″ or ″Amazon.com Associates Program″).As an affiliate, HomeInspectionInsider.com participates in a variety of affiliate programs with other websites.Hubert Miles receives a commission for recommending visitors and commerce to these businesses.
Rheem vs. AO Smith: Which One Is The Better Water Heater?
- When it comes time to get a new water heater, you don’t want to just pick any old model without doing your research first to ensure that you obtain the proper one that will match the demands of your home and your budget.
- Rheem and AO Smith are two of the most well-known names in the water heater industry.
- This study will contrast an AO Smith water heater with a Rheem water heater in order to establish whether manufacturer produces superior products.
Both manufacturers provide a huge array of heaters, including gas, electric, and solar models, as well as tank and tankless models with modest or big tank capacities.In addition, we’ll address some commonly asked questions that readers have concerning AO Smith and Rheem water heaters, which are included below.
AO Smith Overview
- AO Smith manufactured its first water heater in 1939 and is still in business today, in the year 2021.
- However, since its founding in 1874, the corporation has been active in a variety of different industries.
- In their capacity as a corporation that is pleased to refer to itself as inventors, they have developed a number of innovative products, such as a glass-lined water tank that was developed in the 1950s and plans to become solar by 2010.
Water heaters manufactured by AO Smith are available in three different power configurations: electric, tankless, and natural gas.Commercial boilers and heaters, as well as combi boilers and pump water heaters, are also available.When it comes to manufacturing facilities, there are several facilities located around the United States, Europe, China, and India.
- We offer a comprehensive array of water heaters, including the Proline XE – a very energy-efficient heater that provides continuous heating, ensuring that you never run out of hot water again. Other advantages include: high energy-efficiency items
- and goods for both residential and commercial use.
- Untrustworthy durability
- Bad customer service
- In addition to manufacturing plants in New Zealand, Australia, and Mexico, Rheem is one of the largest manufacturers of water heaters in North America.
- Having provided over 100 years of service, Rheem has earned a reputation as one of the finest in the business.
- Rheem manufactures heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) devices, but they are best known for their water heaters, which range from tankless to normal tanked and may be powered by solar, electric, natural gas, or hybrid energy.
It is common to see this organization on ″best of″ review lists because of its long-standing dedication to quality and high customer satisfaction.
- Brand that is dependable and well-known
- one that is always evolving.
- Low operational expenses
- long-term viability
- The warranty does not cover the cost of installation.
- Minor faults are not covered by warranties.
AO Smith Water Heater Vs. Rheem: What’s The Difference?
In the competition between Rheem and AO Smith, both businesses have a product selection that is very comparable. However, there are some distinctions between the two approaches. AO Smith and Rheem are pitted against one another in this comparison of many attributes.
- Because of Rheem’s drive with innovation, they are continuously coming up with new concepts to provide to its customers.
- As a consequence, they have the greatest selection of electric water heaters available, including the distinctive-looking Rheem Chamber RTEX-13 electric water heater.
- Burners, thermostats, pilot generators (and assemblies), valves, and immersion rods are just a few of the accessories available from Rheem.
AO Smith offers a wide variety of heaters that are available in a variety of fuel kinds, sizes, applications, and capacities.For example, you may purchase tanks ranging in size from 30 to 50 gallons with heating power ranging from 30,000 to 100,000 BTUs.Additionally, there are power options ranging from 750 to over 6,000 watts, as well as options with one or two components.If you care about innovation, Rheem is the superior pick, but AO Smith has a wider range of options.
- Rheem warranties have an average term of six to 10 years, depending on the model.
- However, while registering your goods online, you will have the opportunity to purchase an additional four years of protection, extending your warranty coverage to a total of twelve years.
- If you are not a member of the Protection Plug program, this warranty covers all repair or replacement expenses for all heating components; however, you will be liable for any labor costs incurred.
Some items come with a lifetime guarantee that covers repairs or replacements for as long as the original purchaser owns the product.The contract must be transferred to the new owners within one month after your departure, and you must pay $25 in that time.Water heaters from AO Smith are covered by a guarantee that lasts between six and 10 years.However, some tankless heaters are available with warranties that last for 15 years or longer.Commercial warranties are shorter, ranging from one to three years in duration.
- There is one significant distinction between AO and Rheem warranties: AO warranties do not cover labor charges.
- In addition, they are not transferrable to a new owner, regardless of the conditions of the sale.
- The rivalry between these two water heater brands in terms of warranties is clearly won by Rheem, who emerges as the obvious winner.
When it comes to dependability, AO Smith and Rheem are nearly identical.The items from both brands are of great quality, and their lifespans are comparable.As a result, there is no benefit for either firm.The way you maintain your water heater will have a greater impact on the performance and longevity of the heater than the brand name.
- Tanks made of fiberglass endure far longer than conventional tanks.
When deciding on a firm, customer service is an important consideration that many people overlook.However, you want to choose a brand that will provide you with access to helpful personnel in the event that you want their assistance.The performance of Rheem’s customer service might be difficult to assess because many consumers do not include their negative experiences in their ratings.However, it appears that the majority of customers find Rheem’s crew to be helpful when they require assistance.
- However, it may take longer to receive a response if you have contacted the company by email and phone several times.
- AO Smith, on the other hand, has received several positive customer service reviews, with a very high proportion of customer satisfaction.
Customer service is an important consideration when selecting a firm, yet it is often overlooked.Nonetheless, you want to choose a brand that will provide you with access to helpful professionals in the event that you want their assistance.Given that many consumers do not mention their experiences in their evaluations, determining Rheem’s customer service effectiveness can be difficult.Rheem’s crew does appear to be really helpful when clients want their assistance, though.
- However, it may take longer to receive a response if you have contacted the company numerous times by email and phone.
- Customers have praised AO Smith’s superb customer service, which has resulted in a very high level of customer satisfaction.
Water heaters fuelled by natural gas are available from both brands.AO Smith, on the other hand, has approximately 60 different varieties of liquid propane and natural gas tank water heaters on sale.Rheem, on the other hand, only offers 43 different varieties, which is a significant reduction.In multiple customer evaluations, more customers express satisfaction with the performance of AO Smith heaters, with a specific preference for the ProLine XE (50-gallon gas) as compared to Rheem’s identical bestselling Professional Classic Plus (50-gallon electric) (48-gallon natural gas).
- Unlike the Rheem, the ProLine has a bigger tank with a lower Uniform Energy Factor (UEF) of.72, as opposed to the Rheem’s UEF of.80.
- They are both energy-star approved and come with a six-year manufacturer’s guarantee.
- The AO tank is 51″ H x 24″ W x 24″ D, while the Professional tank measures 60″ H x 22″ W x 22″ D.
- The AO tank is made of acrylic, and the Professional tank is made of polycarbonate.
Rheem also manufactures over twenty electric water heaters, with some of the company’s best-selling models having a power of 13 KW and a voltage of 240 volts.These heaters are covered by warranties that last around five years.Electric water heaters from AO Smith are available in a variety of configurations, the most majority of which are covered by a six-year guarantee.The finest models are available in 1600 watts at 120 volts.
- Rheem’s water heaters, on the other hand, utilize less GPM (gallon per minute), allowing you to save money on your water bills while also lowering the quantity of water wasted by your home.
- The enormous assortment of tankless heaters offered by Rheem is the company’s bread and butter – and the reason for its widespread popularity and renown.
- Tankless heaters are available in more than 35 different configurations, with an average energy factor of 0.96.
- Furthermore, the majority of them come with a 12-year warranty.
- Tankless water heaters are available from AO Smith in a variety of configurations.
- Top-of-the-line versions have an energy factor of 0.93 and come with a 12-year guarantee.
- Tankless water heaters heat the water as it passes through them, providing instantaneous heating.
- No water is held internally; instead, it passes through a heat exchange coil to warm up before flowing out the faucet to cool down.
- As a result, they consume less than 35% of the total amount of energy.
- In comparison to AO Smith water heaters, which range in price from $400 to $3,500, Rheem water heaters are more economical ($400 to $2,300).
- Having your water heater professionally installed might cost $400 to $900 for a tank heater (40-50 gallons) or $1,470 to $2,510 for a tankless water heater (40-50 gallons).
- In addition, a plumber might cost between $250 and $500 more.
- It might cost between $450 and $1,200 to remove the old heater if they have to do so.
- Despite the fact that gas heaters have an estimated lifespan of 9 to 12 years, Rheem and AO Smith only issue guarantees for five to six years. Furthermore, despite the fact that you should anticipate an electric heater to last 10 to 15 years, AO only insures your heater for five to six years – the same length of time that Rheem offers for its warranty. Finally, tankless water heaters have an average lifespan of twenty years. Tankless heaters from Rheem and AO Smith are covered by twelve-year guarantees. In addition to the installation procedure (DIY vs. professional and improper vs. correct)
- usage (the more you use it, the faster it wears out)
- maintenance schedule (you should do yearly maintenance)
- and the tank’s quality, there are several more factors to consider.
- Rheem makes it simple to install your water heater yourself (if you have the necessary skills) by providing thorough installation guides that provide full instructions, dangers, and warnings for each step of the process.
- Rheem also provides access to plumbing professionals who charge minimum costs and can have your heater installed as soon as possible.
- The ″Find A Pro by City″ function allows you to search near your area for nearby pros – these professionals are not hired by Rheem, so do your homework to ensure you get the best contractor possible.
- In addition, AO Smith provides access to a big variety of contractors who will back up the company by assuming responsibility for any concerns that may arise.
- Because they suggested the incompetent contractor, AO Smith will bear the majority of the financial burden if your system fails to function properly after installation.
- If you want to do your own installation of your AO Smith water heater, you will be provided with instructions.
- However, they are not as comprehensive and informative as the manuals that come with Rheem heaters.
- Also included will be only rudimentary instructions on how to properly install, maintain, and remove the heater.
- When it comes to which manufacturer provides superior instructional materials for a straightforward and effective DIY installation, Rheem comes out on top in this category.
- However, AO is more ready to step up to the plate and compensate you if there is a problem with the installation performed by a firm that AO recommends..
Considerations Before You Buy
Your first point of worry should be your financial situation. While the cost of the heater is the most important factor to consider, you should also examine the type of energy source and how much it will cost to run it on a regular basis.
Gas Vs. Electric
- You’ll also want to think about whether you want a water heater that is powered by electricity or one that uses natural gas.
- Gas heaters are ideal for areas with intermittent power because they allow you to keep your hot water hot even if the power goes out completely.
- However, if your present water heater is already connected to a single power source, you may incur additional fees if you decide to switch to a different type.
- Gas water heaters must have some form of venting in order to eliminate potentially dangerous fumes.
- Power venting and direct venting are both options for water heaters.
- Power vents are equipped with an electric blower fan that draws the exhaust via the vent pipes.
- While this can assist to prevent carbon monoxide from being released into the home, it also helps to make the heater more efficient in terms of energy usage.
- Direct venting allows you to use air from outside your home to assist in venting exhaust gases and excess heat from your heater, which is then forced back outside.
You’ll also want to think about the size and capacity of the heater you’ll be using. Large families will almost always require a larger water heater, so that you aren’t continually running out of hot water and having to wait for the tank to fill up again.
- Both manufacturers provide access to experienced installers who can set up your Rheem or AO Smith heater for you.
- However, despite the fact that Rheem provides you with a list of installers, these contractors are not linked with the manufacturer.
- As a result, the firm does not provide coverage for any installation problems.
- In addition, AO Smith provides you with a list of contractors that can install your heater.
- These installers, on the other hand, are supported by AO Smith, which implies that if the installer makes a mistake, AO Smith will take responsibility and reimburse any costs incurred.
AO Smith Water Heater Vs Rheem FAQ
Consider reading through these commonly asked questions before continuing on your journey if you have any more inquiries regarding AO Smith vs. Rheem water heaters.
Is Rheem Or Ao Smith A Better Water Heater?
When you put in all of the variables, it becomes extremely difficult to choose the winner of the contest. Both brands have their own set of pros and drawbacks. More than your reputation, the greatest heater brand will be determined by your requirements.
What Brand Of Water Heater Is The Most Reliable?
You must be able to depend on your water heater to perform as expected while not breaking the budget in order to be considered a dependable brand. Two of the most reliable water heaters available are manufactured by AO Smith and Rheem.
Are AO Smith Water Heaters Any Good?
Its goods, which include water heaters, have earned the company an exceptional reputation that it has built over the years via the high quality of its products.
- While selecting a water heater manufacturer necessitates extensive consideration and study, limiting your options down to AO Smith vs.
- Rheem makes the decision-making process more straightforward.
- You really can’t go wrong with either of these brands because they are both excellent selections.
- However, the type of heater that is most appropriate for your home will be determined by your requirements.
Rheem vs AO Smith Water Heaters – Pros, Cons, Comparisons
Hi! The internet has a lot of questions and reviews regarding water heaters, and I’ve read a lot of them to figure out which brand of water heater was better when my almost twenty-year-old heater spilled hot water from the hot water outlet and I couldn’t figure out which one was better.
Important! Installation and Labor
- Considering installation fees and contractors BEFORE buying a heater is a good idea.
- Check to ensure that the price the subcontractor quotes is a solid one.
- The vast majority of them, particularly those who work for big box retailers, will charge you extra for enhancements after they get at your home.
- I’d had some previous experience with Lowe’s construction contractor.
- Both plumbers and retail establishments can charge you up to $1000 for the labor portion of the job.
- Some firms will only install parts that you have purchased from them.
- Furthermore, they are sometimes far more costly than Amazon.
- It is not necessary to agree straight immediately.
- Inquire about area plumbers, HVAC contractors, and handymen who might be able to assist you with this project.
- They specialize in water heaters and are typically substantially less expensive.
Are you able to do some of the tasks on your own?For example, why not purchase a heater and have it delivered to your home (typically at no cost)?The majority of the time, a homeowner may easily switch off the gas and drain the water heater themselves.
- Get the device and empty it are two to three hours of ″labor″ that you are paying the contractor to do for you.
Rheem vs AO Smith Natural Gas 50-gallon Water Heaters
- My HVAC and plumbing contractor provided an in-house quote, and I also conducted some online research at Home Depot, Amazon, and Lowes to obtain an estimate. Here are the alternatives I’m considering. The following items are included: 1) Local Plumber $1875: AO Smith drip pan, expansion tank, and cold water inlet ball valve. 2) HD’s contractor provided me with two Rheem options: around $1500 for a Rheem PROG50-38N RH60 and approximately $ 1600 for a Rheem XG50T12HE40U0 with a 12-year parts and 3-year labor warranty.
- 3) Amazon: A.O. Smith XCR-50 ProMax Plus (10-yr, about $1,021 & free delivery)
- A.O. Smith GCRL-50 ProMax Short Heater (6-yr, approximately $900)
- A.O. Smith XCR-50 ProMax Plus (10-yr, approximately $1,021 & free shipping)
Anode rod replacing
- The procedure for replacing the sacrificial anode rod might be complicated and necessitates the use of an expert.
- As a result, you should only purchase a heater if you are confident in your ability to install it yourself.
- The replacement of an anode in a solitary port is simpler and less expensive.
- AO Smiths rods are notoriously difficult to find replacements for.
- When it comes to Rheem, it’s much simpler; you may see a video on how to change the rode.
- Sediment flushing is a straightforward process on any heater.
- The warranties offered by Rheem and AO Smith are, in my perspective, not significantly different from one another.
- It is largely the extended warranty that makes the difference in price between identical models when you purchase a heater from a reputed manufacturer (which both of these companies are).
- For example, the Rheem heaters are all very identical, and the only difference in price is the length of the manufacturer’s guarantee.
- The control valve on the higher-end versions is marginally better.
- The life expectancy of every model is 15-25 years, after which it will need to be replaced.
- It is possible to spend a higher price for a machine that comes with a 12-year warranty.
- And, on rare occasions (but not always), you will find an extra anode in the unit.
- However, my recommendation is to save the money and get the six-year package.
- The 12-year-old one has the same tank, so if you change the anode rod and flush the sediment on a regular basis, it will last a very long time indeed.
- AO Smith also provides excellent client service.
A simple phone call from your plumber to the firm will result in a fresh replacement gadget being sent to you within a few days at no cost.
- UEF is a unit of measurement for the energy efficiency of a water heater.
- The approach used by the Department of Energy is known as the Unified Energy Factor.
- The higher the UEF value, the greater the efficiency of the system.
- For example, the AO Smith Professional Classic Plus 48-Gallon Water Heater has a UEF of 0.80, whereas the Rheem ProLine XE 50-Gallon Gas Water Heater has a UEF of 0.72, indicating that the AO Smith is somewhat superior.
- However, both heaters are Energy Star certified, which may entitle you to tax advantages if you live in the appropriate state.
Conclusions: Rheem vs AO Smith tank water heaters
- The products from Rheem and AO Smith are both high quality, and you cannot go wrong with either.
- The discrepancy is due to personal preferences as well as the necessity to save resources.
- To be honest with you, I don’t see the sense in a 12-year or even a ″lifetime″ tank guarantee since I want to be in control of the anodes.
- As a result, I purchased a Rheem heater with a 6-year warranty.
- If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of replacing anodes and monitoring the technical state of the heater, you can simply see an expert every few years.
- Additionally, Smith comes with a 12-year warranty.
- They provide excellent customer service, and you will feel more assured as a result of this.
- Additionally, see our comparison of Rheem and Ecosmart heaters.
Rheem vs AO Smith Tankless Gas Water Heaters
- Tankless water heaters provide ″never-ending″ hot water, but they are more sensitive to the quality of the water they use.
- Hard water, a lack of maintenance (no descaling, no flushing and draining), incorrect installation/venting, and other factors can all contribute to a heater’s life being drastically shortened.
- As a result, every model of every brand requires some level of upkeep.
- When it comes to capacitive heaters, both manufacturers compete head to head.
- For example, the Tankless Water Heater Condensing Ultra-Low NOx by Rheem has virtually identical specs to the 10.0 GPM Indoor Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater by AO Smith, which has almost same characteristics.
- The great majority of the components in a water heater are interchangeable.
- Consequently, my recommendation for the Rheem vs.
- AO Smith Tankless Gas Water Heaters comparison is to go with the cheapest option and really perform the necessary maintenance on it.
- Ensure that the anode is checked annually and that it is replaced if necessary.
- Before turning on the water heater for the first time, some handymen recommend that you loosen and reinsert the anode, which you should do after purchasing the water heater.
It will make it easier for you to remove the anode later on.Drain the silt out of the water heater at least once a year, if not more frequently.Simply follow these instructions, and your heater should last a lifetime.
Rheem vs AO Smith Electric Water Heaters
- Electric water heaters are far less complicated to operate than gas water heaters.
- In addition, they do not require gas nozzles or ignition automation, and they are therefore more safe.
- Tank types are more robust and consume less energy (thanks to the preheating of the water), but they are significantly bigger and have a lower capacity for hot water.
- The diameter of the anode rod is the most significant variation between warranties.
- Example: A 6-year-old child is likely to have The anode is 75 inches in length, while the rod is 90 inches in length.
- You can simply turn a 6 year tank into a 12 year tank by replacing the anode every 1-3 years or by inserting a bigger anode every year or two.
- So, once again, the recommendation is to acquire what you enjoy and not to spend too much money.
- Every six months, inspect the heater for signs of leakage.
- Check the water pressure and make sure it does not exceed 80 pounds per square inch.
- Taking these steps will help to extend the life of any heater.
However, AO Smith heaters are my preferred choice since they come with a full handbook, are less complicated to maintain, and are easy to troubleshoot.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH – Which One Makes Better Water Heaters in 2021?
- AO SMITH and RHEEM are two outstanding organizations in which people all across the world may place their faith.
- Their high-quality water heaters are accessible all around the world, and they are equipped with cutting-edge technology.
- As a result, the vast majority of people have their homes crammed with the products of such exceptional enterprises and their gadgets.
- To be quite honest, both candidates have a combined total of several hundred years of expertise under their belts.
- Both of them manufacture an enormous selection of heating heaters for both large and small households.
- Electricity, natural gas, and propane are used to power their equipment.
- Aside from that, they also supply tank-style and tankless water heaters.
- AO Smith water heaters are used by about 37 percent of households in the United States, whereas RHEEM water heaters are used by 35 percent of homeowners.
- This means that both firms are competing against one other, and it is quite difficult to pick a winner among them.
- In this RHEEM VS AO Smith comparison, we will provide you with in-depth information on each brand.
We will also tell you how their units function during peak hours of operation and what the advantages of using their goods are..So let’s get this party started.
A Brief Review Of RHEEM
- Since 1925, they have been in operation.
- As a result of their efforts, they have established themselves as one of the major water heater manufacturers in North America.
- They are also found in other countries such as Mexico, New Zealand, and Australia.
- They manufacture anything from tank water heaters to Raheem tankless water heaters to meet your cooling and heating requirements.
- Moreover, they manufacture solar, natural gas, and electric equipment for use in both home and commercial settings.
- It is impossible not to include them on ″the finest″ list at any time because of their devotion and dedication.
- Some of their equipment are well-known for producing a slight amount of background noise.
- Some folks are concerned about the fact that they are made outside of the United States of America.
- Whatever the case, RHEEM has a long history of producing high-quality products.
A Brief Review Of AO SMITH
- AO SMITH is a well-known name in the water heater business, distributing both commercial and residential heaters.
- AO SMITH is a leading distributor of water heaters in the United States.
- The vast majority of people are familiar with them as the most dependable tank-style water heater manufacturers.
- However, they also provide tankless systems that are extremely energy-efficient in their operation.
- They have been in business since 1939 and have a long history in the industry.
- Because they invented the glass-lined tank in 1950, they are referred to as a ″company of invention.″ In 2010, they entered the solar water heater business and used the same high-level technology as their competitors to create products that were competitive in the market.
- They may also be found in India, Europe, China, and the United States, among other places.
- Some individuals are concerned about their worldwide emphasis, whilst others feel that they may further improve the quality of their products by expanding their product line.
- Proline is one of their most robust lines, and it is here that they created the XE, which has sufficient energy smartness to provide uninterrupted heat during an endless shower.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Water Heaters
- RHEEM has been supplying its products for more than 100 years, and it has a diverse range of high-quality and functional water heaters to choose from.
- They are the market-leading manufacturer of electric tankless water heaters in the United States.
- End of 1925 saw the introduction of their water heaters for use in domestic settings.
- They set out to meet the demands of their customers right from the start, and they succeeded.
- Over the years, they have introduced a number of new models, each with its own set of original features and ground-breaking technology.
- Their electric gadgets are distinguished by the fact that they are quite simple to set up.
- Products from AO SMITH, on the other hand, are covered by a 12-year warranty.
- They also have a large selection of water heaters to choose from.
- This manufacturer’s gas-fired machines are an excellent alternative.
- It was founded in 1921 and, as a result of their innovative tactics and ideas, they were instrumental in bringing about a major revolution in the field of water heaters.
The majority of their units have earned the Energy Star certification, indicating that they operate at peak efficiency.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Electric Water Heater
- The electric machines are extremely energy efficient, making them a wise investment for those who place a high value on not just performance but also energy efficiency.
- When it comes to performance, the RHEEM electric water heaters are second to none, and they also come with exceptional compatibility.
- Because of their rapid start-up time, they are a good choice.
- They need the least amount of time and effort to complete.
- Furthermore, you may install these heaters on your own, without the need to hire expert installation services first.
- Their devices are equipped with double copper characteristics that make them incredibly reliable.
- When it comes to rapid performance and interior quality, AO SMITH provides a variety of different tiers of goods.
- Each of their models complies with the most basic safety requirements, making them suitable for use in both home and commercial settings.
- However, they provide a variety of items on three different tires, with each tire’s performance being evaluated.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Hybrid Water Heater Spare Parts
- In its water heaters, AO SMITH incorporates interchangeable spare parts as well as interior components.
- The removal of the heating element or any of the other components that may be present within the unit becomes much simpler as a result of these developments.
- It affects both the tank-style and tankless-style appliances.
- A different example is the interchangeability of gas device replacement parts manufactured by RHEEM.
- At the same time, they increased the number of fixed components in the tankless units.
- As a result, you may need to contact a specialist to assist you in replacing the tankless heater’s components.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Tankless
- Tankless water heaters are now installed in eight out of ten houses.
- They are specifically engineered to reduce the wait time while also emitting less NOx.
- To be completely honest, it is the most cutting-edge technology available for use in a water heating system.
- The goods of AO Smith are made using non-toxic materials, making them completely safe to use.
- Furthermore, practically all of their models are equipped with a digital display, which allows you to view the right statistics and information in a very short period of time.
- The tankless heaters from RHEEM, on the other hand, are the most energy efficient available.
- The best part is that they have a significantly longer life expectancy.
- As a result, their gadgets are more stable, even when subjected to extreme weather conditions.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Gas Water Heater
- Gas-powered devices are well-known for providing a consistent level of service.
- They consume a small amount of fuel, making them far more efficient than other types of heaters.
- The unique capabilities and great performance of the gas devices for AO Smith have made them famous among customers.
- The firm has always placed a strong emphasis on achieving LEED certification in order to make its models as energy efficient as possible.
- They do, however, affirm that their products emit negligible levels of nitrogen oxides.
- When it comes to gas-fired appliances, on the other hand, RHEEM has a number of different product lines.
- The bulk of their things are a little different in terms of levels and series than other similar items.
- They provide enough performance while while being environmentally friendly.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Electric Hot Water Heater User Guide
- The AO Smith user’s handbook is short and to the point.
- It does not provide much information.
- The information they have supplied is clear and concise, and it just contains information regarding the heating components.
- The RHEEM devices, on the other hand, come with a user’s manual that contains all you need to know about the heater.
- You will learn all you need to know about the components and valves.
- When the time comes to replace them, the RHEEM unit will have an easier job than before.
RHEEM VS AO SMITH Heater Cost
- RHEEM water heating units are available for purchase for between $200 and $1700.
- The costs of AO Smith heaters, on the other hand, range from $240 to $1500.
- Finally, after reading our in-depth RHEEM VS AO SMITH water softener comparison, you should be aware that both firms are very comparable to one another.
- Conclusion However, if you conduct a thorough investigation, RHEEM emerges victorious against AO Smith due to minute variances.
- Consequently, the RHEEM electric and tankless devices will receive our endorsement.
- However, if you are looking for a gas heater, AO SMITH gas heaters are a good option to consider for taking long showers.
- No matter which brand you choose, make sure to follow the installation instructions and take good care of the gadget if you want to use it for an extended period of time.
Rheem Vs Ao Smith: Water Heater Clash of 2021
- Brands like as Rheem and AO Smith are the most widely used water heaters in the United States.
- As a result, many consumers are confused by the company comparison between Rheem and AO Smith, which is especially true if they’re in the market for a new water heater.
- No matter what size home you have, you should be able to locate a water heater from one of these two firms that will meet your needs and fit your budget.
- Products that operate on both electricity and gas are available for purchase; tankless water heaters as well as traditional tank-style water heaters are available.
- As a result, they are extremely adaptable.
- However, while deciding between Rheem and AO Smith water heaters, which one should you choose?
- The following information will help you choose which of these two firms is the best fit for you.
Rheem Vs AO Smith Comparison
- It is really difficult to establish whether AO Smith is superior to Rheem or vice versa without doing a full comparison – and that is exactly what we will do in this article! We studied hundreds of reviews to determine the advantages and disadvantages of each brands and to come to a final judgment. Particularly noteworthy is that we’ve looked over their: Water heaters using natural gas
- water heaters with electricity
- tankless water heaters
Here’s what we’ve discovered thus far:
Rheem Hot Water Heaters
- It has been over a century since Rheem first appeared on the market. The company has manufactured a wide variety of high-quality water heaters throughout the years. We’ve previously discussed and compared this brand to Lennox in previous discussions. However, it is most well-known for its incredible tankless water heaters, which have propelled the firm to the top of the industry’s rankings. Since 1925, the company has worked hard to maintain its excellent customer satisfaction rating by introducing several new models and incorporating cutting-edge features and technology. This is demonstrated by the Rheem RTEX-18 water heater, which is one of their most popular models. Let’s have a look at the characteristics of the brand’s product: Water Heaters Powered by Natural Gas The company provides more than 40 different gas water heater models.
- Homes using Rheem gas water heaters account for around 22 percent of all households.
- The majority of them can carry around 40 gallons of water.
- The majority of them come with a guarantee of up to 6 years.
- Electric Water Heaters are a type of water heater that uses electricity to heat water. Rheem provides more than 20 different electric water heater types
- some of their top versions operate at 240 volts and have a power of 13 KW.
- The majority of them have a guarantee of around 5 years.
- Tankless Water Heaters are a type of water heater that does not require a tank to be filled with water. Rheem is well known for their tankless water heaters, which are available in more than 35 different variants.
- They have an average energy factor of 0.96, which is excellent.
- The majority of them come with a 12-year warranty, making them extremely long-lasting
- Warranties It takes an average of 9-12 years for a gas water heater to reach its end of service life. Rheem provides a 5- to 6-year warranty on the majority of its products.
- It takes an electric water heater between 10-15 years to reach its maximum capacity. Rheem provides a 5- to 6-year warranty on the majority of its products.
- The typical lifespan of a tankless water heater is 20 years, according to the manufacturer. Rheem provides a 12-year warranty on the majority of its products.
AO Smith Water Heaters
- The AO Smith company has only been around for a few years longer than Rheem, having been formed in 1921. The company is renowned for introducing several ground-breaking innovations in the field of water heaters. AO Smith was one of the first firms to develop tankless high-efficiency water heaters, as well as solar hybrids, and the company continues to innovate. AO Smith has earned the Energy Star certification in recognition of its outstanding performance, which says volumes about the brand’s commitment to efficiency. One of the company’s most popular models, the AO Smith GCRL-40, is evidence of this. Water Heaters Powered by Natural Gas There are approximately 60 different models of natural gas and liquid propane tank water heaters offered by the AO Smith company
- the brand’s gas water heaters can be found in up to 37 percent of households in the United States
- the majority of water heaters hold up to 40 gallons
- the majority of water heaters come with a 6-year warranty
- Electric Water Heaters are a type of water heater that uses electricity to heat water. Electric water heaters are available in more than 30 different models from AO Smith.
- A few of its more impressive variants operate at 120 volts and produce 1600 watts
- The majority of them come with a guarantee of up to 6 years.
- Electric Water Heaters are a type of water heater that uses electricity to heat the water. Electric water heaters from AO Smith are available in more than 30 different variants.
- With 1600 watts, some of the company’s top models run on 120-voltage.
- In most cases, a guarantee of up to six years is provided by the manufacturer.
- Warranties It takes an average of 9-12 years for a gas water heater to reach its end of service life. The majority of AO Smith water heaters come with a 5- to 6-year guarantee
- the typical lifespan of an electric water heater is 10-15 years. The majority of tankless water heaters are covered by a 5- to 6-year guarantee
- the average lifespan of a tankless water heater is 20 years. The majority of AO Smith’s products are covered by a 12-year warranty.
Rheem Vs AO Smith – What Brand Of Tankless Water Heater Is The Most Reliable?
- When it comes to dependability, both of these brands are roughly on par with one another. Both companies will provide you with high-quality items, and all of their water heaters will last the same amount of time. In reality, the longevity of water heaters is mostly dependent on how well they are maintained and cared for, and neither of these two manufacturers has much control over this. In general, any product that has a fiberglass water tank will live longer than a product that does not have a fiberglass water tank. In addition to offering high-end items, both manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty on the tank. This implies that if the tank fails, the water heater as a whole will be replaced with a new one. Yes, if something goes wrong with the tank, it will be impossible to fix it. The only thing you can do is replace it. Some factors might have an impact on the longevity of a water heater. These are the things: Improper installation — Unless you are a skilled plumber, do not attempt to install a water heater on your own. If the installation is not done properly, you run the danger of having a leaking water heater or possibly flooding.
- Poor utilization – The frequency with which you use your water heater has a significant impact on its longevity. The greater the frequency with which it occurs, the shorter its lifespan will be, since it will corrode more quickly.
- Infrequent maintenance – If you want your water heater to last as long as possible, you need perform some annual maintenance.
- A product’s quality is important because if it is not built of high-quality materials, it will show indications of wear and tear much more quickly.
When it comes to Rheem vs AO Smith, there are a few things worth noting.
- Both brands have a large number of high-quality items as well as a handful that aren’t so great.
- This is standard practice for any brand, not just these two in particular.
- Regardless of the company, there are better and worse items to be found.
- Some series are just superior to the others in terms of quality.
- Maintaining and using your equipment is entirely up to you, and the brands have little to no involvement.
- The warranty may be able to assist you in getting certain repairs done for free, or perhaps in getting some components or even an entire tank replaced!
- Aside from that, the repairs might end up costing you hundreds of dollars in total.
- Additionally, both manufacturers